Monday, November 2, 2015

All Hallows' Eve: Little Red verses the Wolf

I love Halloween.

For those of you who hate Halloween, who can't stand it, who think it's stupid. Move on, this post is not for you.

But if you're wishing it was still Halloween, and you can't believe it's over already I raise my glass to you and thank you for sharing the love.


When you're little Halloween is all about running around to houses, getting candy and picking through your pillowcase to see what candy you'll give to your parents. As you get older you either prank your neighbours, pick the ritziest places to trick-or-treat at for the biggest score, party, or stay in and watch all the Halloween episodes of Buffy.

My Halloween is usually a month of planning or more. I'm not one of those who can do a half-assed costume or simply purchase an outfit from a store. If you can pull that off then good for you. But I'm 5'11 3/4" and 155 lbs, so those costumes don't work for me. Either too short or I swim in them, which is only good for certain costumes.

A few years ago I spent a month figuring out Ring Master of the Dead Circus. Finding pieces to put together, crafting parts. Finding a whip that looked real enough but didn't cost all the money was the hardest part. It all turned out though.

Ring Master and Ring Girl (not actually...)
Photo courtesy of @smoonie
All this work is for the amazing party held at our friends' business. Last year there wasn't a party (not that I can blame them, it's got to be a lot of work to put these shindig's together, plus clean up before opening the next day) so the costume plan got bumped to this year.

Little Red Riding Hood.

But I had to put a spin on it, so it became Self-Sufficient Little Red Riding Hood.

Not actual wolf skin, only humanely harvested hare
(poor thing drowned in a storm.)
And yes I had treats in my basket. Not wine and a piece of cake as per the story, but candy. There was also a knife and cake server in there for the party.

Some candlelight with your cake?
The cake didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I used LMF and didn't get the same quality that the cake community raves about. It was crumbly and had little dry cracks all over but I was determined to make it work. It is noticeable on the top tier and probably only to those who know what to look for, but still.
Two tone frills.
Not like Michael Jackson.
And those ruffles. My first time doing frills/ruffles and what happened? When I went to flip it over the cake pan slid and snapped the back portion. It was horrifying.  I know there is a back to the cake but I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad. Things to look out for for next time I guess.

Wolf vs Red.
My monies on Red.

I am happy with how the frame and picture turned out. Face off between Red and the Wolf, eyes watching. It was a lot of fun and quite fast and easy to do. Made me want to pick up my paintbrushes again.

Prized wolf skull.
Candy clay, of course.
This skull was fun as well. I like the stuff I can make ahead of time and put it to the side for later. Of course then I have dreams of forgetting to grab it and put it on the cake... I actually had the full skull made, but I didn't like the look of it all together so I made a design decision and only used the top.

If you follow my Instagram account (@KitchChick) or FaceBook page you would have seen this:

Got my tools out
As I was making the armature I asked people to guess what it was. Of course I only got one guess (and a creative one at that.) People just don't understand that I can't give away prizes without some participation! No I'm not kidding, this isn't no-zero school where everyone gets a ribbon and a passing grade; this is real life.

So that was my Halloween. Cake, party, music, candy, friends, and Denny's for 1:00 AM food.

How was yours? Share your costume in the comments if that's what you're into.

Happy Halloween

No comments:

Post a Comment