Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mr's Baby Ninja Turtle Cake: The Tale of a Love for Pizza

I'm a Liar.

A damn liar.

But in a good way.

See two years ago I arranged a surprise party for Mr's Birthday. I sent him off to watch Roller Derby while I prepared. My excuse was the tickets were sold out and I was making pizza anyways.

Party Pizza.

Most of the surprise party guests were at Roller Derby already, cheering on the E-Ville Roller Derby team. One of the guests arrived early. She drew him a card and I made Party Pizza.

When Mr arrived with another guest I thought for sure the gig was up. The first arrival had never been to our place before and had no reason to just be hanging out at our table. But he didn't get it until the fifth guest arrived.

For that birthday I made a Chocolate Bacon Stout Cake with Maple Frosting. It was as good as it sounds.


Can you see the Bacon? Stout makes for an amazingly moist cake.

Last Birthday I surprised him with Barenaked Ladies tickets. I told him we were meeting my Pops for supper. It was a bit of a walk to the theatre and Mr was getting angry at Pops. When we walked into the theatre, with all the banners and merch about, he still didn't clue in. He had to see the tickets to get what was actually happening.

The concert was amazing. I recommend them to everyone and can't wait to go again.

This year Mr made me promise no surprises.

Can you believe that?

So I made him a little cake.


A very little cake. Six inches on the bottom and a teeny four inches on top.


Baby Donatello (and the pizza toppings) are made with modelling chocolate. He was fun to make.

He started like this:


And ended up like this:


Notice Mr's name on the cake? So he'd know it's all for him.


He shared the pizza part with me. The crust is fondant, and sauce is fondant gunk. Toppings are all chocolate.


Yes, Donatello even has a tail.

Yes... That is a tail.


The cake was what Mr calls "Grape" flavour; which is actually Lavender Honey. Making it purple means it is Grape apparently.

So two cakes down: Ten to go. Next cake will be for my Gram's and Mom's Birthday. I'm planning on making my first gumpaste flower. " 'Cause seriously, speaking for everybody who are me in the car right now, we're very excited." 




No comments:

Post a Comment